Tuesday, April 16, 2013

God Bless the USA

Get ready for a very patriotic post:

If living in a foreign country has taught me anything, it is how much I love the United States and how proud I am to be an American. Yes, Italy has good food, a lengthy history, and a rich culture; however, the people do not have the intense pride of country that you find in the US.
Last night (Italian time), I sat glued to my computer watching the events at the famous Boston Marathon unfold. My roommates and I were horrified that someone would, once again, dare to attack the people of the USA. I began to wonder, "are we being extra patriotic because we are thousands of miles away, or is this really what America is all about?"
As I followed the reactions on Twitter and Facebook, I grew increasingly confident that American citizens are loyal in a way no other nation can claim. The response to this act of terror made me all the more proud of my country and the people who live there. The way we unite during times of crisis is truly unique. People from the north, south, east, and west put aside differences to provide aid for those injured. No distinction is made among religions, races, or demographics; we ban together in support of our fellow Americans who have been harmed.
Tragic events help us realize what is really important versus what is a trivial matter in life. Watching a terrorist attack occur on my country while living thousands of miles away made me realize how grateful I am to be from the United States. I am well aware that we live in constant fear of a terrorist attack. But I also know that when someone does inflict pain and suffering on our country, we unite and fight those who dare to challenge us. 
The United States is not perfect. But despite our own issues and conflicts, we are still the most patriotic country in the world. We stand united against people who believe they can shake our country and all for which we stand.
Nothing can be said to give true comfort to those affected by the attacks in Boston; all I pray is that we are able to put differences aside and focus on recovery and future prevention efforts.
When you count your blessings at night, thank the Good Lord you live in the United States.

Love to all,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment