Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Journey

This post is a little long! Sorry! And the wifi isn't strong enough to post pictures. Look on Facebook, and I'll put pictures on the blog as soon as I can. 
The plane ride from DFW to London was a pretty easy 9 hours, besides the occasional cries of a baby and snores of the old man behind me. Julie and I sat next to each other and ate some tortellini. I'm excited for some authentic pasta after the questionable airplane food. After dinner I took a Benadryl and put on some music hoping to sleep till breakfast. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to sleep and can fall asleep pretty much anywhere; apparently airplanes are the exception. As I was trying and failing to rest, I kept repeating my Aunt Jami's wisdom, "you can sleep when you're dead." I guess that needs to be one of my mottos for this semester, but a nap here and there is okay, right?! A guy in our group, Chris, didn't sleep either so we got the chance to talk. It was nice to make a new friend so early in the trip. 

In London we had a long layover, so we got some food and walked around the airport. Our flight to Bologna was practically empty so we got our own rows. Good news!! I finally slept some. Customs in Bologna was ridiculously easy and our bags came out quickly. An airport security guard laughed at my Texas accent when I asked for a trashcan. It is high time I learn some Italian, y'all! 
With some help from the locals, we found our way to the bus that would take us from the airport to the train station. Picture this: eight Americans, 23 bags, and a tiny city bus. I don't think we will be winning any best passenger award. The train station was equally chaotic. Lifting my 48.5 pound bags up stairs and then into storage bins wasn't bad though because some nice Italian men helped me. The train was clean and new and the ride was quick and comfortable. 

It has been really fun traveling with seven other people. I have enjoyed getting to know them and can't wait for the many weekend trips we will take together! 
The Italians are great so far. And my Grandad was right when he said the Italian boys are "sweet-talkers"...uh oh! 
Once we got checked into the hotel we met up with some more Frogs. Hayley, Julie, Laura, Trey, Chris, and I went to a late dinner. Nothing is better than authentic Italian pasta, especially after a long day of traveling. The six of us then walked around the city in pursuit of gelato. We wandered aimlessly and soon realized that it was midnight so most places had closed. We continued to walk around and explore the city. I am in love with Firenze. Everywhere you look there is incredible stone and wood work making the most beautiful architecture. Walking around with no agenda but to admire my new home was the best way to start off the semester. 
We spent our first full day running errands. Usually that would be a pain, but here walking to turn in paperwork means walking across the Ponte Vecchio and eyeing all of the beautiful jewelry. We stopped for a long lunch (every meal here is long...I love it!) and a glass of wine that cost two euro. Tonight we have dinner with the whole TCU group and tomorrow is orientation! 


Baci,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment