Friday, February 8, 2013

School aka The Boring Stuff

Well, classes started and I feel like a freshman again. Tuesday began with a trip to a cafe for some cappuccino and a croissant with Julie and Janette. The waiter called me JLo and patted my head; I don't know if we will be going back there. People weren't lying when they said watch out for the Italian men!

My first class on Tuesday is Italian 101. The last time I took an introductory language class was in 1st grade, so I am excited to have basic worksheets and exercises. I am also eager to be able to speak the native language, even if my understanding is very rudimentary.

After Italian I walk to a different building for International Law. My professor seems intense, but I am looking forward to the material we will study.

International Law is followed by Pairing Food and Wine. My professor's name is Giancarlo and I love him! One of the first things he told us was: "I married an American woman studying here, so ladies watch out for the human mosquitoes." He used to be the marketing director for Nivea Europe but quit his job to follow his passion and teach classes on pairing food and wine. Italians really value happiness over material things; I am making it one of my goals of the semester to become more Italian in that way. We made spaghetti alla carbonara and paired it with a white wine. Everyone be nice to me and maybe I will prepare a feast when I return to the states.

 Spaghetti alla Carbonara

After classes we went to Gusta Pizza, a pizza place that many people have called "the best pizza in Florence." It was really yummy, but I am still on the hunt for the best pizza...stay tuned! I got to FaceTime my Uncle David and Grandad after dinner and went to bed pretty early.

Wednesday morning I went on a run along the Arno river and ended it trying on jewelry along the Ponte Vecchio. Now that is a great day right there! Oh wait, I am trying not to value material things...

World Religions started at 3:00 on Wednesday. I don't really have anything to say about it except that after three hours of the class I knew I deserved some gelato.

Thursday mornings I have Italian again and then go to Global Business and Society. I think I am really going to like my business class. The professor is visiting from Marist in the US but was born and raised in Germany. She will definitely have a global perspective! 

The school, Lorenzo de Medici (LdM) is more of an urban campus than I am used to. The classrooms are in old buildings and the rooms are so pretty. A lot of the students are from the Tri-State area; my monogrammed Longchamps don't exactly fit in...

Enough of the boring stuff! Stay tuned for a post about one of the best days of my life.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment